Monday, August 2, 2010

Ugh, Target. So disappointing.

Today at my Education Coordinator job, I needed to shop for school supplies for about 50 people. After checking in our warehouse for donated and reusable folders, pencils, etc. I realized I'd have to buy new notebooks and additional pocket folders. I will not take money, even my workplace's money, to Walmart, so I settled on Target. I've been avoiding Target lately too, since Inga Muscio opened my eyes to the connections between shopping at big-box stores, including Target, and supporting modern-day slavery.

But, hey, it wasn't Walmart. And I did find some really affordable items that will now ensure that my students have the school supplies they need. I picked up a couple of items out of my own budget while there, too.

Then, I come home to this little gem of information in my email inbox, courtesy of MoveOn.org:

"Target, the retail giant, just became one of the very first companies to take advantage of the Supreme Court's Citizens United decision allowing unlimited corporate cash in elections.
Target has spent over $150,000 in the Minnesota Governor's race backing state Rep. Tom Emmer, a far-right Republican who supports Arizona's draconian immigration law, wants to abolish the minimum wage and even gave money to a fringe group that condoned the execution of gay people. "

Really, Target? Gross. I immediately signed the petition being sent to Target CEO Gregg Steinhafl telling him that I won't shop at Target again until they stop trying to control US Politics by buying elections. Then I just felt icky and sad for spending money there this very day.

While I knew that it was only a matter of time before companies started using their Supreme Court-given "right" to donate unlimited sums of money to political campaigns, but I thought better of Target. I suppose it's only a matter of time before more corporations show their stripes.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this Cara. Now how do I tell everyone I know without them shooting the messenger?

    ReplyDelete